2013 Antinori "Peppoli" Chianti Classico SKU #1286886

$19.99

JS 92
Add To Cart

Professional Reviews

Staff Reviews

  • Joe Bruno
    By: Joe Bruno
    6/24/2017
    K&L Staff Member
    A great Monday through Friday wine! This Chianti Classico is mostly Sangiovese (90%) with the remaining 10% being rounded out by Merlot and Syrah. Aromas of plum, prunes, cherries, and stewed tomatoes come together with leather, violets, and restrained vanilla. Light and possessing a mouthwatering acidity, this wine perfect with food. Notes of tart red fruit with stewed tomatoes and leather once more. Fantastic value for under $20; try with margherita pizza or ragu sauce over pappardelle pasta
  • Morgan Laurie
    By: Morgan Laurie
    5/28/2017
    K&L Staff Member
    This is your weeknight winner, right here! Pop this guy open when you get home and give it some time to breath while you're getting dinner together. A wonderful nose of dried strawberry and violets opens up beautifully with a little air to reveal tobacco and spice. A wonderful Chianti to enjoy now or in a few years.
  • John Downing
    By: John Downing
    1/14/2017
    K&L Staff Member
    The 2013 Peppoli is a classic and a wonderful expression of Sangiovese that's supplemented with small amounts of Merlot and Syrah that add depth and spice. What I love about this wine is its combination of expressive red fruit, mouthwatering acidity and understated elegance that remind me why I enjoy Chianti so much at the dinner table. We love this one and it comes with our highest recommendation.
  • Greg St. Clair
    By: Greg St. Clair
    1/12/2017
    K&L Staff Member
    Antinori is not an unknown name in Italian wine, they are one of the largest and highest quality producers in Italy. Many years ago, when I first started in this business, there were two names that stood for Italy, through whose tireless efforts brought a new age of quality Italian wine to America, they were Angelo Gaja and Piero Antinori, each year they would spend months crisscrossing the country doing presentation after presentation. Gaja’s flamboyant bravado earned fans everywhere; his wines weren’t so bad either, but it was Piero Antinori’s graceful elegance, understated presence and his ability to present wines to both the connoisseur and the common man that made his voice so resonant. This new Péppoli Chianti Classico is a beautiful representation of what Sangiovese expresses in this micro-climate of Chianti Classico’s northwest. The nose of this wine is pure Sangiovese, but to use more of a musical metaphor there’s a lot more treble in this voice, long, pure, elegant. A cleaner, wild cherry aromatic that is very focused is what comes out of the glass followed by delicate threads of spice and earth but is that Sangiovese solo that is the dominant expression. On the palate that same linear characteristic is articulated, faceted, and lets the 10% portion of Syrah and Merlot flesh out the mid palate adding a bit of meaty richness. The dominant flavors are the cherry, with hints of stone fruit, earth and spice. This wine reminds me of Audrey Hepburn: restrained, elegant, and lean, but so much focus, energy and lift, you can tell it has breeding. This wine’s elegant, linear character makes it the perfect match for richer pasta dishes; whether you choose what my choice would be a sausage and cream with penne rigate, if you’re an Alfredo fan this would work too, or if a traditional ragu is your choice just remember to go heavier on the oil or cheese, you don’t want a tomato dominant dish. A brief decanting always helps Sangiovese, but this wine will drink well over the next five to eight years.
    Drink from 2017 to 2025
  • Rachel Vogel
    By: Rachel Vogel
    1/9/2017
    K&L Staff Member
    A harmonious marriage of cooler region delicacy and freshness, and warmer vintage weight and depth. The nose is graceful and complex with aromas of fresh violets. The palate is lifted, lean, and layered with pretty floral notes a dry finish. Elegance in a glass!

Inventory

Real Time Inventory by Location:

The item you have chosen is in stock, and has inventory in at least one of our retail stores. Below is the current quantity on hand information for this product within our database. It is never more than five minutes old. Additionally, our shopping cart looks at real time inventory so when you add an item to you cart we will do an immediate check of available inventory and alert you if there are any issues.

Hollywood: 3

Product turnaround time varies by location of inventory and your chosen method of shipping/pickup.

Customer Reviews



Email Alerts - exclusive access from K&L