2011 Can Mayol Loxarel "MM" Gran Reserva Brut Nature Classic Penedes SKU #1230303

Price: $29.99

RP 91-92
Add To Cart

Professional Reviews

K&L Notes

Can Mayol, which bottles under the trademarked name "Loxarel," is a winery that has been farming organically for more than a decade. The Mitjan family, owners of Can Mayol, also employ some biodynamic treatments. They keep animals, including chickens, a horse and a donkey named Garnatxa. While the focus is on "Brut Nature" (no dosage added) sparkling wine production, they also produce some very interesting still wines as well. In their chalky, high altitude vineyards (above 2,400 feet for their highest vines, among the highest in the Penedès D.O.), Xarel-lo, Macabeo, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir thrive and pick up an incredible minerality, which makes these wines wonderfully distinctive and very exciting to drink. Consisting of 60% Pinot Noir (the remaining 40% is Xarel-lo Vermell), this has the requisite Pinot Noir round, fleshy fruit and mouthfeel, but with mouth watering chalkiness as well. As with all their other wines we carry, MM is bottled Brut Nature, so what you are tasting is the product of distinctive, organically farmed fruit on a great calcareous site, fermented dry and aged on its lees for over 5 years- without any added sugar. (Joe Manekin, K&L Spanish wine buyer)

Staff Reviews

  • Heather Vander Wall
    By: Heather Vander Wall
    8/15/2016
    K&L Staff Member
    This serious Blanc de Noir from Loxarel is a fantastic new addition to the lineup for one of our favorite sparkling producers outside of Champagne! As we've come to expect from Loxarel, the intensity and depth of flavor is incredible in its scope here. There are plenty of rich, red fruit characteristics showing in the body of this wine, with very strong, saturated flavors, both nutty and spicy in style. If you are a fan of richer sparkling wines with plenty of texture and length on the palate, this is a must-try.
  • Joe Manekin
    By: Joe Manekin
    8/11/2016
    K&L Staff Member
    Whoa - Loxarel has stepped up their game with this Pinot Noir driven Blanc des Noirs. A beautiful deeper golden hue, the MM shows its Gran Reserva authority both in elegance of texture and intensity of chalk. Speaking of chalk, the Pinot Noir here grows at some of the highest elevations of the property in very calcareous soil. Arguably Spain's finest producer of methode champenoise sparklers, Loxarel definitely continues to come correct with their delicious bubblies. 5+ years on the lees, and loads of class for just $25!
  • David Driscoll
    By: David Driscoll
    8/10/2016
    K&L Staff Member
    This wine really surprised me with its Champagne like richness and depth of flavor. The wine is clean and refreshing, but there's more beyond that. There's a kiss of almond skin and a nuanced note of nutty richness that just dances on the finish. Top notch bubbly, no doubt!

Inventory

Real Time Inventory by Location:

The item you have chosen is in stock, and has inventory in our warehouse and one or more stores. Below is the current quantity on hand information for this product within our database. It is never more than five minutes old. Additionally, our shopping cart looks at real time inventory so when you add an item to you cart we will do an immediate check of available inventory and alert you if there are any issues.

Main Warehouse: > 48
Hollywood: 17
Redwood City: 20
San Francisco: 3

Product turnaround time varies by location of inventory and your chosen method of shipping/pickup.



Email Alerts - exclusive access from K&L